HAVE A QUESTION?
What is the format of the first interview and do I need to prepare anything?
You’ll have a 1 hour interview with a member of the Mazars team. The first part of this interview will involve an analytical exercise, followed by competency based questions. Our aim is to find out more about you and see if you are right for us. You should also make sure you ask questions so you can assess if we are the right firm for you. We’ll endeavour to let you know the outcome within one week.
Hints & Tips for interview preparation
- Using the STAR model may help you when preparing for your interview. It is also useful to keep in mind when responding to questions, as it provides a logical structure to your answer.
Situation: the context of your example.
Task: what you had to do.
Action: what you did, how you did it and why.
Result: the outcome
When responding to a question using the STAR model, the action step is particularly important. This is where you will need to demonstrate your skills and capabilities. It is therefore important to focus the majority of your response on this part.
- Do not feel that you have to immediately jump in to responding to a question. For example, you can say to the interviewer ‘Please can I take a moment to gather my thoughts’. Take a moment to think of a specific example that would best demonstrate your capabilities.
- The interviewer is interested in you and your suitability for the role. When providing an example it is therefore important to demonstrate what you personally did in that situation. For example, if describing an example of working as part of a team, the interviewer is less interested in what the team as a whole did, and more interested in the actions you personally took as part of that team.
- Be yourself – Interviewers are looking for certain skills for a particular job. But personality is important. We are looking for people who we can enjoy working with, five days a week.
- Wear a suit – Unless specifically told otherwise. It’s much better to be overdressed than underdressed and it shows you’re serious about the job.